9/1/22. Biopharmaceuticals rally...another choppy session with aa last hour rally bringing Dow and S&P in the green. Strength in ABBV, REGN,PFE, LLY, VRTX. check them out vs chart below; AZN and GSK are weak. XLV up 1.64% to $126.81. Technician are looking at 390 for key technical level for SPY..
XBI holds $85.
8/23/22. Rotation out of healthcare into energy. But a choppy flattish day with some winners. large cap biopharma in the red: VRTX, LLY, BMY. BIIB are 2%+ losers. XLV down 1.4% to $129.35.UNH down 1.61%.
Here is our last major healthcare portfolio review before the July rally. UNH was $452 and XLV was $120.
- Biotech holds up with IBB flattish at $125.37. XBI up 2.15% to $87.78 off recent lows at $85 handle.
- ARKG up 1.8% , can speculative biotech hold here? IWM above 1900 support.
- XLE up 3.61%, Materials up 0.99%.
Large Cap Biopharma Metrics as of August 16, 2022
- Top Winners stock performance YTD: VRTX up 38%,BMY up 18.9%, MRK up 18.2%, AZN up 14.6%, AMGN up 12.53%.
- The IBB was down almost 13% and the XBI down about 17% but the XBI came back in JY now up over 10% for past month
- Here are large caps.trending close to 52 wk highs: VRTX, LLY, MRK, BMY, AMGN. Trending close to 52 week lows: BIIB, RHHBY, GSK.
Over the past two years we have favored Large Cap Biopharma and United Health (UNH) in your healthcare portfolio. Recently as of July 5 we provided 8 small/mid cap stock picks that provide trading opportunities and longer term growth and stock performance. Large Cap drug stocks provide defensive ballast to your portfolio with more reliable growth and dividends.
The macro and political risk appear to be diminished in ale cap drug stocks with the passage of the recent Climate and Healthcare Bill that provides more clarity on drug pricing and Medicare.
Today most of these stocks were flat or slightly down after release of the FED minutes. LLY up 2% IBB down almost 2%.We will provide news and updates as they affect our current model. We suggest that you track them on Seeking Alpha.
GSK is down again today 7/18 to $34, despite a 5+% yield and a FWD /PE of 9.84. The split of its consumer products , called Haleon (HLN) business makes GSK a pharma pure play, HLN is also trading down at $6/sh.
We will update our healthcare portfolio over the weekend.
Data as of Closing August 16 2022. LONG ABBV, BMY,MRK, REGN, RHHBY, VRTX
|COMPANY||1/15/18||8/16/22||11/1/19||2022||YTD||FWD||Analyst||%||52 week high|
*acquired by AZN
*acquired by BMY