June 6… see if the Rotation Trend continues through the Week of June 8
Week Ending June 6 Performance
- Leaders Energy, Financials, Europe.
- Laggards: Staples, Healthcare.
- IBB off 1.95%, XBI off 1%.
- Stocks to watch: GILD, GSK, VIR
June 5…Midday trading-Rotation Rally Continues with DOW up 3.2%, S&P up 2.62%!
- Coronavirus stocks weak: BNTX CEMI MRNA QDEL VIR etc.NVAX green.
- Market perceives the re-opening is going well.
- JOBS data shocks on upside with 2.5M added in May.
- Airlines, energy industrials lead , healthcare lags.
June Midday Trading 12N—liquidity drives Dow and Small Caps out of biotech and healthcare. The so-called “re-opening” trade has spurred a rotation into trades favoring industrials XLI up 3%, materials and financials XLF up 3.74%. Chips are strong.
- DOW up 1.6%, NASDAQ up 0.39%.
- Biotechs drift lower: IBB down 1.66%, XBI down 1.47%, XLV down 0.43%.
- Coronavirus stocks – momentum weakens: CODX down 3.7%,QDEL down 4.3%, NVAX down 3%, REGN down 3.8%, VIR down 7.3%.
- Still green:GILD,GNMK, HOLX.
June 1 closed…Coroanvirus stocks drifted a little higher XBI up 0.52% with the usual volatility. Some big winners were NVX up 12.5% to $52.82, BNTX up 5.6% to $52.30, GNMK up 4.85% to 49.95 and VIR up 3.42% to $35.35. GILD efficacy results were mixed and REGN eased a bit.
Large caps were weak across the board with the IBB down 0.47% to $134.11.
Gene therapy stocks had more winners than losers:NTLA, CRSP, SGMO, EDIT.
June 1…11:16a Interest in COVID antibody therapy picks up; Phase 1 safety and tolerability by Lilly.
Coronavirus stocks mixed: GILD down 4%, GNMK up 4%, NVAX up 12%, VIR up 2.5% in early trading. XBI flat.
Coronavirus Stock Scoreboard
Biotech stocks closed up across the board last Friday despite a choppy week. Some high flyers have come down: BNTX, CEMI, MRNA and VIR. In the chart below we are tracking well known coronavirus stocks with potential in diagnostics, vaccines and therapeutics.The stocks at the bottom are new additions to chart . Although a COVID vaccine Is not expected until Q4 2020. Stock volatility can be expected with any news.
Bull market in Biotech Intact although toppy after strong May rally:
Note that many large cap biopharma stocks that have strong R&D and products are not included: ABBV ABT GSK JNJ MRK RHHBY TMO etc. Also large caps have diversified portfolios many with dividends.
Weekly and YTD Performance -Major ETFs:
- IBB up 1% , up 11.8% at $134.85. Large caps favored in 2020.
- XBI down 3.67%, up 8.88% at $103.56.
- XLV up 3.38%. up 1.13% at $103.
Here are the top stocks performance % YTD and certainly since the mid-March lows:
Co-Diagnostics (CODX) up 1911 %, Novavax (NVAX) up 1124%, Inovio (INO) up 347%, Moderna (MRNA) up 214%, VIR Bio (VIR) up 171%.
Here are the stocks still trading nearest to 52 week high ranges: HOLX REGN QDEL.
Coronavirus Stock Tracker May 30 2020 YTD Performance
Disclosure long : GILD, GNMK, IBB, TDOC, VIR, XBI
|Company||Stock||3/6 P||%Perf||3/16 P||MCap||4/30||5/30 P||%Perf|