1/7/19 After Close: Both BMY and CELG held today up over 3%.
Stay tuned Next Week for Updates from the J.P.Morgan Healthcare Conference
1/4/19 Rally underway from blockbuster BMY/CELG deal and upcoming JPMorgan Healthcare Conference
1/3/19 Celgene (CELG) up 27% on Bristol-Myers (BMY) $74B Cash and Stock Deal
- Biotech sector rallies on deal: ALXN GILD IBB
Large Cap Biopharmaceutical Performance 2018: Not a Good Year
We reviewed large cap biopharmaceutical stock performance in 2018 a volatile year when stocks peaked in late August and again in late September before a vicious sell-off in December. The IBB came very close to lows not seen since October 2016. Stocks began a bullish run after ASCO in June ending in the October sell-off. Watch for changes in analyst recommendations next week with the JPMorgan Healthcare Conference.
- Merck (MRK) was the top performer up 33.9%.
- Amgen (AMGN) was up 11.9% followed by Vertex (VRTX) up 10.6%.
- Celgene (CELG) was the worst performer down 38.6%.
- The large cap weighted IBB was down 9.68%.
- Small caps underperformed (XBI) hit hard with the December sell-off.
- The Fidelity Select Biotechnology Fund underperformed down 4.51% over 3 yrs!
- The XLV Healthcare ETF was up 4.63% at $86.51 but was as high as $95.87 on November 30.
|1 yr||P/S||Fwd PE||Recomm|