Update-1…1/29/23 Risk On! Speculative small cap life science stocks continue to run with the XBI up 2.76% for the week. Movers for the week included: CRSP up 6.39%, CYRX up 6.07%, GERN up 4.7%, and VCYT up 4.58%. Some of the winners in our portfolio were losers in 2022 then sold and rebought.
- Our biggest loser in the group over 2-3 years is CRSPR Therapeutics so is it time to buy more at the $50 level off its 1/21 high of $165?
- Hologic (HOLX) is not really a spec stock and offers good value with a PE of 16.17 and the stock at new highs.and will report earnings this week.
- Quidel/Ortho remains a value laggard with a PE of 5.14 and a P/S of 1.87 as the Quidel management team engineer a new business model after the merger with Ortho.
Small Cap Biotech Stocks-Trades To Consider
- Trade them on technicals or news, short or long.
- No Fundamental analysis is provided.
- Most are well known companies in life sciences.
Here is a group of life science stocks that we currently hold. All are very small positions in our portfolio even though most are profitable trades.This is not a buy list but rather an indicator of biotech “alpha” with an expectation of long term gains for a few of these stocks. We will update the list months or if we are making significant trades.on some of these trades we took losses in 2022 and doubled down.
Some of these stocks we know well like HOLX, others we may have read one news clip like GERN. As you can see from our August ’22 post during the summer rally these stocks are voltatile.
WILD CARD: Note the recent buy of Invitae (NVTA) at $2.55, a former high flyer that recently traded at $9 and during the bubble days of 2021 traded as high as $60! The stock now trades near its cash value .Cathie Wood bought the stock last week in her ARK investment fund.
We are long all of these life science stocks.
|P 1/20/23||% Perf|
Updated Chart 1/28/23
|P 1/20/23||% Perf||1/28/23|
|Company||Ticker||$||P||% week||% Perf|